Friday, January 22, 2010

Eber & Wein Publishing, a good opportunity

Eber & Wein Publishing sponsors a poetry contest. The company is one of very few that offer cash prizes for beginning writers. They collect the names from people who enter the contest and offer them their publishing services. This is a normal business practice in many industries. Some writers believe there are publishers who are willing to pay you for your poetry and this is simply untrue, especially if you are an amateur poet. It is true that this is not considered a professional publishing credit. This type of publishing is consistent to having your work published in local news papers, church newsletters, or chap books.

My research into this company confirms that you don’t have to buy a book in order for your poem to appear in one of their publications, which is also unusual for this type of publisher. Another interesting practice of Eber & Wein Publishing is that anyone can purchase their books at major online retailers. My conclusion is if you are a new writer and want to share your poetry, this is a good opportunity.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Mr. Arborgast,

    I'd seen what you said over on that blog and thought I'd give you a holler. Your blog makes a lot more sense than that other one.

    -T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I participated in this contest and thought it was really cool. I didn't win but I did have my poem published in their book. My husband bought me a copy at Barnes and Noble and I was thrilled to see my poem printed in it. This was a really good experience and I am working on improving my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's good to hear, I'm glad you had a good experience. Reading great poetry is the easiest way to improve your own poetry. You should read the Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman. My favorite poem is "When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd". Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Pete, I really enjoy reading. I was just on the Eber and Wein Publishing site and noticed a new post. I think it complements your blog. Read it at: http://eberandwein.blogspot.com/2010/02/who-are-our-winners-how-are-they-chosen.html

    ReplyDelete